Essentially, the epidemic that struck last year shook the world to its core. Not only has it placed many people’s health at risk, but it has also shaken the global economy and completely changed the way we work. Additionally, it compelled us to perform practically everything that is feasible online. As a result, having a stable internet connection became a requirement suddenly.
People require a broadband internet connection in order to access jobs, online classes, and other services. In response to this demand, the government established a special program to assist financially disadvantaged households in obtaining internet access.
Why Did The Government Give EBB Free Tablet?
EBB was founded after the well-known lifeline program. The sole difference is that EBB was established to assist families adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Essentially, the goal was to alleviate family internet costs, allowing them to work online, take online courses, and access virtual health services smoothly.
There are numerous reasons why the government started offering free tablets to low-income individuals who cannot purchase one. These include:
- Free tablets enable low-income families and individuals to maintain contact with family and friends.
- It gives internet access, enabling low-income individuals to enroll in an online course, read online books, studies, and articles, receive an online education, and acquire new skills.
- It enables individuals to submit employment applications.
- It makes it possible for students to compete for scholarships and educational opportunities.
- It enables low-income families to go about their daily lives and earn money.
- It helps individuals to track their health and maintain contact with health care specialists.
- It delivers more modern communication equipment that can substitute for a cell phone in many aspects.
- By increasing communication, employment, education, and other opportunities, it is possible to improve one’s quality of life.
Who Is Eligible For The Emergency Broad Band Benefit Programs Free Tablet?
To be eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program, at least one family member must meet the following criteria:
- One of the family members participated in a free program or participated in the 2019 to 2020 school year.
- Has experienced a significant loss of income, such as job loss or dismissals, since February 29, 2020, and your total household income in 2020 was less than $99,000 for individual taxpayers or $198,000 for joint taxpayers.
- Has been awarded a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year
- The household member is eligible for a qualified internet provider’s low-income or COVID-19 program.
- Additionally, if you qualify for the federal Lifeline program, you ought to be eligible for the EBB program as well. You may qualify for the Lifeline program in the following ways:
- Your income is less than 135% of the federal poverty level.
- You reside on Tribal lands, and at least one member of your household (including dependent family members and children) receives General Assistance from Head Start (only if your household meets the income eligibility standard), the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations or the Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF).
- You or one member of your household (including dependents and children) receives benefits from one of the following federal programs: Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly known as Food Stamps), Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA), Medicaid, or Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit.
What Documents Are Necessary To Apply For EBB Free Tablet?
When applying for the Emergency Broadband benefit, you may be requested to supply evidence or information to establish your eligibility. These documents include the following:
- An official document confirming that your annual household income is equal to or less than 135% of the federal poverty level (for example, your previous year’s federal, state, or tribal tax return, your latest income statement from your company, your worker’s compensation or unemployment statement of benefits, etc.).
- An official document attesting to participation in an eligible assistance program (benefits verification letter, approval letter, benefit award letter, etc.)
- Identity verification document (for example, a state identification card, a United States driver’s license, a Social Security number, or a passport).
- A government-issued document certifying that you are either 18 years old or a legally emancipated juvenile.
- Documentation of addresses and duplicate addresses
- An official document demonstrating a significant loss of income
You will be required to create clear copies or photographs of the documents and submit these copies (never the originals) online or via mail.
How To Apply For An Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet?
If you have previously applied for Lifeline Assistance, you will notice that the application process is nearly identical to the EBB program. However, to obtain an EBB tablet, you must first apply for and be authorized for the EBB program. If you become eligible, you may now proceed to apply to a tablet. To proceed, follow the steps below:
- Select your service provider – Due to the large number of service providers that deal with EBB, it is necessary to select one and then enroll through it. Please note that not every EBB service provider provides government-subsidized tablets. As a result, you should confirm the same with your provider. If the provider gives a complimentary tablet, move to the next step.
- Determine your eligibility – Once you’ve chosen a preferred provider, contact the company to determine your eligibility. This is because different providers have varying eligibility requirements. Additionally, eligibility varies by state of residence. As a result, verify with the provider that you truly qualify for the program. Apply for an EBB tablet if you match their requirements.
- Apply – There are numerous ways to apply for the program. The simplest option is to use one of the several online programs. To apply online, visit the EBB’s official website and then click on the “Apply Now” button. You will be redirected to a new page with an application form. Complete the form by entering your personal information, including your full legal name, date of birth, Social Security number, driver’s license number, and tribal identification number.
Additionally, you may be requested to include copies of the previous papers for authentication purposes. Following that, you should enter your address and double-check everything before completing your application.
- Approval – After submitting your registration, the next step is to await approval. In most situations, your application will be granted within a few business days. If you meet all of the conditions, you will be notified as soon as possible.
- Receive your tablet – Once your application has been approved, your tablet will be shipped to you. Actually, the delivery process may begin immediately, with your tablet arriving within a few days. On the other side, if you make errors during the application process, you may be required to resubmit them. Lastly, the responsible party will contact you if your application is rejected.
Which Areas Are Covered By The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
The EBB program is available in practically every state in the United States of America. To learn which service providers participate in this program in your state, you need first visit the emergency broadband official website and conduct a search. There is a significant chance that you will find one or more service providers in your state through which you can apply and get approved.
Which Tablets Are Available Free Of Cost Under The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
Generally, the EBB program does not specify a specific tablet model or brand. It is ultimately up to the service provider to choose whether or not to provide it. Additionally, most of these service providers typically offer the tablets that are currently available rather than the ones you might prefer to have.
The best part is, these tablets are either refurbished or pre-owned. Additionally, they are always in good functioning order. You can contact the partnering service providers to inquire about the types of complimentary tablets they are offering. Tablets available include:
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7
- Apple 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2021- Space Gray
- Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2 8″ Ruggedized Tablet, Black
- 2020 Apple iPad – Space Gray (8th generation)
- Fire HD 10 Tablet + Amazon Standing Case (Sandstone White)
- New Microsoft Surface Go 2 – Platinum (Latest Model)
- Lenovo Tab M10 Plus Tablet
- LG G Pad 5 -4GB LTE Unlocked Tablet
- Amazon Fire 8 HD
- Lenovo Smart Tab M8
- Amazon Fire 7
- Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite
- Dragon Touch 7-inch Tablet
- Vankyo MatrixPad Z1
Emerson EM756BK Android
What Are The Best Ten Companies That Offer Free EBB Tablets?
The good news is that a large number of providers support the EBB scheme. However, as previously said, it is unknown whether or not a provider provides free EBB tablets. It’s always a good idea to get in touch with them and ask about the free tablet. The ten service providers listed below participate in the EBB initiative and are most likely to offer free tablets.
What Other Benefits Does The EBB Program Provide?
The EBB offers the following benefits
- a monthly discount of up to $50 on broadband service for qualifying households
- a monthly discount of up to $75 for households on eligible Tribal lands;
- Additionally, qualified households may receive a one-time discount of up to $100 off the purchase price of a desktop computer, laptop, or tablet from service providers if they pay more than $10 but less than $50 for the purchase price.
How To Get Free phone and Tablets for Low-Income Families from Charities and Non-Profit Organizations?
Along with receiving a free tablet from the government, charitable and non-profit groups may also provide one. Specific charity and non-profit organizations may provide their volunteers with complimentary tablets. They obtain free tablets and other gently used electronic devices from retailers and occasionally distribute them to their workers and volunteers.
Additionally, charities provide free tablets to low-income individuals in need. While some of these organizations work locally, others are national and even international in scope. While some charities and non-profits may donate new tablets and laptops, most offer refurbished and pre-owned models, depending on the source of funding and the amount received.
Each non-profit and charity organization has its unique set of application requirements. You must contact a particular non-profit organization or charity, conduct an online search for one, and apply for a free tablet.
Additionally, particular churches, institutions, and religious groups provide low-income families and students with free tablets and other electronic equipment. Several of them raise money through collaborations with large firms such as Amazon and Microsoft.
While public libraries do not typically give away free electronic gadgets, you may be able to borrow a tablet or laptop and access the internet for free. As such, this is another possibility worth considering.
If everything else fails, you can search online for giveaway contests (be sure the contest is legitimate) and online retailers that sell refurbished and used equipment at discounted costs.
Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet Others Thing You Should Know
Is a Free ebb tablet really free?
The EBB initiative does not include a free tablet provided by the government. They do, however, offer a substantial discount on tablets, making them affordable to qualified households. With EBB, you can receive discounts of up to $100 toward the purchase of a device. Therefore, if your device costs less than that, the service is genuinely free.
Does my ebb tablet come with a warranty?
Yes. The majority of tablets come with a manufacturer’s warranty. However, warranty terms are typically different. You can obtain additional information from your service provider.
How long will the EBB last?
The EBB program is only temporary unless Congress decides to prolong it further. The EBB program was established in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and will expire six months after the Department of Health & Human Services deems the pandemic to be over, whichever occurs first. Providers must notify participants at least 30 days before the EBB Program’s termination to allow participating households time to determine whether to “opt-in” to continued service.
What happens after the EBB program ends?
When the program expires, participating internet service providers are required to notify families in advance of the end deadline or final billing cycle, on which the EBB will be applied to their account. Additionally, the notice must provide the date or billing cycle on which a portion of the benefit would be applied to their account and information about the pricing of internet service after the EBB program concludes.
To ensure that no household receiving the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) is charged for services they cannot afford when the program expires, households must opt-in – or request to keep receiving internet services – with their network operator. If clients do not opt-in or choose a service plan with the provider before the program expires, the service provider will terminate their interest.
Even if users had internet access with the same provider before participating in the EBB program, they must opt-in to continue service after the program expires.
What if the tablet I received is damaged in transit?
In this situation, you will be held harmless and will receive a replacement tablet.
Can seniors get a free tablet?
Automatically. Seniors who satisfy the eligibility criteria may also be eligible for EBB. Additionally, certain providers periodically offer special deals for seniors, which may include free tablets.In case you also need information Best Tablets For Seniors
Does Qlink offer free tablets?
Only EBB-qualifying clients are eligible for the Qlink EBB device discount on a new tablet. While the tablet is not entirely free, it is significantly discounted. Customers that qualify are only needed to pay a $10.01 co-pay. Additionally, keep in mind that this is a limited-time deal subject to product availability and FCC restrictions and changes.
Can Existing Lifeline Subscribers apply?
Yes. If you are participating in Lifeline, you can continue to get your Lifeline discount from your current provider and still apply for the Emergency Broadband Benefit.
If I already received Lifeline benefits, will I automatically receive the Emergency Broadband Benefit?
Yes. You can apply for a free EBB tablet if you are a Lifeline subscriber. Because EBB and Lifeline are not inherently exclusive, you will benefit from both programs concurrently. Actually, as a lifeline participant, you are automatically eligible to participate in the EBB program.
Can I choose my EBB provider?
Yes. You have the right to select an EBB service provider that meets your specific requirements. These service providers, however, differ by state. Several are distributed in multiple states. To achieve the best outcomes, choose one that is accessible even in rural regions. In this manner, you’ll have increased convenience. Most importantly, you should select one that is compatible with the program’s eligibility standards.
Due to the difficult economic circumstances brought on by the COVID-19 epidemic, the majority of families are now searching for ways to economize expenses while maintaining contact with individuals they care about. If you are a member of a low-income household, you can now apply for and receive an EBB tablet within a few days. Additionally, you’ll receive a reduction in your cellular bills. This will lower your overall communication costs and provide you with greater convenience. Apply for an EBB tablet today, and you will be pleasantly surprised by the outcomes.