Do you have an iPhone on your hand? If so, you probably know that you can mirror it to various smart TV sets, right? This is done easily when you have a Wi-Fi connection and both your iPhone and a smart TV are connected to that same network.
How about if there is no Wi-Fi? Can you still mirror your iPhone to the TV then? This is what we will tackle in this article.
Luckily, there are several workarounds that will make mirroring the content from your iPhone possible even without Wi-Fi. Herein you will learn how to mirror iPhone to TV without Wi-Fi, which will come in handy in case the Wi-Fi connection is down.
Are you ready to dig in? Let’s do this.
Does Screen Mirroring Work Without Wi-Fi?
Yes and no. There are several factors you need to take into account in order to determine whether or not the iPhone mirroring will work without Wi-Fi in your case. It mainly depends on the type of your smart TV or mirroring/casting device. Generally speaking, you should be able to mirror your iPhone as long as the smart TV has its own Wi-Fi built-in.
Note: Wi-Fi and the internet are two different things. You can have an internet connection without Wi-Fi (wired option), and you can also have a Wi-Fi connection established among devices without having access to the internet. Only when a Wi-Fi router connected to the internet network is used or mobile data is exploited, the actual internet connection is established.
As expected, iPhones will have the simplest workaround for Apple TVs. However, there are other smart TVs that you can mirror your iPhone without Wi-Fi as well.
Your options are also determined by the iPhone that you have. If you have an iPhone that is at least a 2012 model, you will have more options. Older devices are still able to mirror their content, however, a Wi-Fi connection is required.
Since there are various legit ways to make iPhone mirroring work without Wi-Fi, we will take a closer look at the most popular alternatives in the following sections. Some of these methods will be wireless and others will require a cable connection.
When To Use Screen Mirroring Without Wi-Fi?
Having a working Wi-Fi network is usually the most practical way to make the use of smart TV and iPhone mirroring. However, there are some cases when alternatives may be required.
The most common reason to use screen mirroring without Wi-Fi is situations where a Wi-Fi network is not available, either the router stopped working, the internet connection is down, or the internet connection hasn’t been purchased yet.
That said, in most situations, it makes sense to use the iPhone screen mirroring only when Wi-Fi is not available.
Alternatively, you may be a guest or have guests in your home who want to mirror the content from their phones to your TV screen. Even with Wi-Fi available, it may be faster and simpler for them to be able to mirror the content from their iPhone without connection to your Wi-Fi network. Chromecast device enables you with that option, via its Guest Mode.
How To Mirror iPhone With Apple TV
Since iPhones are made by Apple, it is completely logical that connection options will be the best with Apple TVs, right? If anything, Apple always made sure that their devices connect together smoothly and effortlessly.
If you have a Wi-Fi connection available, then mirroring from your iPhone to your Apple TV is very simple. So, how about if Wi-Fi is not available?
Read more about How To Connect Phone to TV Without Wi-Fi
How To Mirror iPhone to TV Without Wi-Fi – Using Apple TV and Apple Peer to Peer Airplay
What you’ll need to make this work:
- For this method to work, you will need to have an Apple TV of Third Generation or newer. In the case of Third-Gen Apple TV Rev. A, you also need it to be running on Apple TV Software 7.0 or later.
- Aside from the above-explained Apple TV models, you will need an iPhone that at least 2012 model or later and is operating on iOS 8 or newer.
The steps to take:
- Make sure that both your Apple TV and iPhone are disconnected from any Wi-Fi connection. To turn off the Wi-Fi on your Apple TV, go to Settings, click on Network, and afterward click on Wi-Fi. Here you will see any network that TV may be connected to. Click those networks and select ‘Forget Network.’ Similar steps must be taken on your iPhone. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
Note: Clicking on ‘Forget Network’ will prevent your devices from automatically reconnecting to that particular network. In order to reconnect to that network in the future, you will need to know the network’s name and password.
- Establish a Bluetooth connection. Peer to Peer Airplay is a wireless connection that exploits Bluetooth technology. Bluetooth should be on by default on your Apple TV. To turn on the Bluetooth on your iPhone, swipe down the menu bar and tap on the Bluetooth icon.
- Turn on your iPhone’s Wi-Fi. Swipe down to the access menu and tab the Wi-Fi toggle. Despite the fact that we are not using a Wi-Fi connection, it must be active on your iPhone to make the Peer to Peer Airplay function work. Once you’ve turned on the Wi-Fi on your iPhone, Peer to Peer Airplay should’ve been activated and Airplay Controls should show up on your phone’s Control Center.
Note: In case the Airplay controls don’t show up, try moving your iPhone closer to the TV set. If that doesn’t help, restart your iPhone and try again.
- Tap the Screen Mirroring. As you turn on this option on your iPhone, you should see your Apple TV listed. You might be asked to enter a connection password. In that case, the password should appear on your TV screen. Enter it and that is it.
- Enjoy mirroring your iPhone to Apple TV without Wi-Fi.
How To Mirror iPhone to TV Without Wi-Fi – Using Apple TV and Apple Lightning Connector
The above method enabled us to mirror an iPhone screen to an Apple TV wirelessly, which is great. Herein, we will learn about an alternative method that uses a cable connection. This method is very quick and simple and a good solution for those of you who don’t mind using wires.
What you’ll need to make this work:
- Apple TV (this method works with other TV sets as well)
- Apple’s Lightning Digital AV adapter (it cost around $40; there are cheaper third-party alternatives available)
- iPhone Lightning connector
- HDMI cable
Steps to take:
- Connect the iPhone Lightning cable to your phone on one end and into the Apple Lightning connector on the other.
- Connect HDMI cable to the Apple Lightning Connector and into your Apple TV on the other.
- Select the corresponding HDMI channel on your TV and enjoy.
How to Mirror the iPhone to the TV Without Apple TV?
You don’t have Apple TV? Don’t worry. There are many alternative ways to mirror your iPhone to other smart and non-smart TV sets. We will cover most of them below.
Note: We have limited this section to options without Wi-Fi. If you have a Wi-Fi network available, then man additional options are possible, including the AirBeam TV app, AnyCast dongle, LetsView, ApowerMirror, and others.
Read more about How to Connect Your Tablet to the Internet Without WiFi
BEST OPTION: Mirror iPhone to TV with a Cable (Using an Apple Digital AV Adapter)
This is probably the simplest way to mirror any iPhone to any TV set. Keep in mind that it requires HDMI cable, iPhone Lightning cable, and the Apple’s Lightning Digital AV adapter (third-party alternatives may be used).
The process is the same as for the Apple TV, so please refer to the ‘How To Mirror iPhone to TV Without Wi-Fi – Using Apple TV and Apple Lightning Connector’ section.
Mirror iPhone to TV with Google Chromecast
Chromecast is one of the most popular dongle devices for mirroring content from various phones. Despite the fact that it is Google’s device (primarily intended for Android devices) it may also be used with iPhone.
Chromecast works best when a WiFi connection is available, however, you may use the Guest Mode on the latest version, which will enable you to mirror your iPhone without Wi-Fi. You will also need a mirroring app, such as the Screen Mirror for Chromecast by iStreamer.
As an alternative to the ‘Guest Mode’, you may use a cable internet connection (Ethernet cable) and also make things work without the Wi-Fi.
Read more about How To Get Free Internet On Android Without Service
Mirror iPhone to TV with Roku without Wi-Fi
You will need to download the AirBeam app on your iPhone and the Mirror for the Roku streaming channel on your Roku TV. The channel is available in the Personal media section found on the Roku TV.
- Install the Mirror for Roku app on your device.
- Search for devices will be initiated automatically. As soon as the Roku TV is found, select it.
- Tap the ‘Start Mirroring option’ to initiate screen mirroring from iPhone to Roku.
- Choose the Mirror for Roku option and then press the Start Broadcast option to start the mirroring.
If your Smart TV has built-in Wi-Fi, you’ll be able to mirror your iPhone’s content using the AllCast app without your home Wi-FI networks.
Here are the steps to take:
- Install the AllCast app on your iPhone.
- Turn on your smart TV.
- Launch the app and allow it to access your photos and music.
- Tap the cast icon (TV screen + WiFi icons) at the bottom left of your screen. Detected devices will be displayed in a new panel.
- From that list of devices, tap the name of your smart TV to establish the connection.
- The AllCast app will redirect you to your local videos and photos. Select the desired content and enjoy.
How to Mirror iPhone to Mac Without Wi-Fi
Mirroring the iPhone screen to Mac is also possible. When Wi-Fi is available and iPhone and Mac are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, many apps may be used to achieve the mirroring. But how about when there is no Wi-Fi network available?
In that case, you may use the mirroring based on a cable connection (as presented above) or use QuickTime Player (requires USB connection – see the steps below).
- Connect iPhone to Mac with lightning cable
- Open QuickTime Player and select File > New Movie Recording.
- Click the drop-down menu beside the recording button and choose your iPhone. In a second or so, your phone screen will be displayed on Mac. Enjoy!
Read more about How To Connect Alexa To Internet
Can I use Chromecast without Wi-Fi iPhone?
Yes. The latest Chromecast device has a built-in Wi-Fi beacon that enables the use of Guest Mode, which means that mirroring can be done without the need for Wi-Fi.
Can I watch Netflix on my smart TV without the internet?
No. Netflix is an online streaming platform that requires an internet connection. However, you may watch Netflix on your smart TV by mirroring the content from your mobile phone. In this case, you do not need home internet as you will be using your mobile data (keep in mind that this is also one of several existing internet connections).
Does smart TV need Wi-Fi?
No, smart TVs may be connected to the internet using Ethernet cables as well. However, if you want full functionality and wireless connection, Wi-Fi is required.
Can I stream from my phone to my TV?
Yes, if your phone and your TV support that option. Your phone must support this option and you need a proper built-in app or a third-party app. You can establish mirroring wirelessly or with proper cables and adapters.
How to airplay video to Apple TV?
See the ‘How To Mirror iPhone to TV Without Wi-Fi – Using Apple TV and Apple Peer to Peer Airplay’ section above where step-by-step instructions are provided.
Can I cast my phone to a non-smart TV?
Yes, however, in that case, you will need to use a wired connection or dongle casting devices that enable wireless mirroring.
How do you set up a smart TV without internet?
Smart TV without an internet connection is not much different than regular TV. To gain full functionality of the smart TV, you need an internet connection. However, if your smart TV has built-in Wi-Fi, you may be able to establish a connection directly from your phone and mirror your phone’s screen. Then you may use your phone’s mobile data to watch online content.
Why do you want an internet connection for screen mirroring?
The majority of mirroring options works based on having your smartphone and your smart TV connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Moreover, if you want to watch content that is based on the web, you will need an internet connection. Mobile data may be used as an alternative if your wireless plan enables you that option.