Smart TV sets and smartphones are widely spread these days and are what the majority of users in the developed world are using in 2020. Moreover, since Smart TVs are selling way more frequently than regular TV sets, the trend will apparently only continue to grow.
Having Wi-Fi in our homes have also become a quite common thing, however, there may be special occasions and reason when Wi-Fi is not available or you haven’t decided to get the Wi-Fi router. For such a case, knowing how to connect phone to Smart TV without Wi-Fi can be very helpful.
Sure, we can watch videos and photos on our phone or tablet and many of us do, especially when we are on the go. However, if there is a big TV screen available, why not use it to display your phone’s or table’s content, right?
So, let’s have a closer look at how to connect phone to TV without Wi-Fi.
Why Do You Need To Know How To Connect Phone To Tv Without Wi-Fi?
Sure, most of us have internet connections in our homes and most of us also have Wi-Fi routers that provide us with a wireless network that offers many benefits. However, despite the fact that new TVs, especially Smart TVs mainly come with Wi-Fi connectivity options, not all do. Some are limited to internet cable.
Moreover, there are also still many users who do not have Wi-Fi in their homes.
With that said, we would like to point out that with this article we are aiming to help a wide range of cases, as such we will do our best to cover all most useful solution regarding how to connect phone to TV without Wi-Fi. It is up to you to pinpoint the solution that is relevant to your case and use it.
So, are you ready to dig deeper? Let’s do this, shall we?
How To Connect Phone to TV Without Wi-Fi – Solutions
So, you have your phone or your tablet in hand and a big TV screen available but no Wi-Fi connection. What to do? Can you connect your phone to a Smart TV without Wi-Fi? Yes, and there are several solutions.
Herein we will have a detailed look at all of them and you will be provided with several legit ways to connect your phone to TV without Wi-Fi.
How To Connect Phone to TV Without Wi-Fi – Method #1
Screen Casting is also known as MirrorShare or Miracast (names depending on the TV and phone brands) is the best solution. It is also the easiest one and that is why we are starting with it.
Note: Not all smartphones nor all Smart TVs (especially older models) have that option. However, all the latest models do offer you to cast your screen.
So, first, you need to ensure that both, your phone and your Smart TV support mirror casting. If that is the case, the procedure is very simple and fast to perform.
Here are the action steps to take:
- Open screen mirroring on both devices (your phone or tablet and your TV set). It is often enough to turn on your TV and then navigate to the ‘Wireless Display’ option in your smartphone’s settings. The majority of phones have the shortcut switch accessible from the drop-down menu available from the main screen.
- On your phone, you should see available receivers. Select the name (names vary from brand to brand) that corresponds to your TV set.
- If you are prompted to enter the code, enter the PIN that is displayed on your TV screen.
Yes, it can be as simple as that to connect your phone to TV without Wi-Fi, if your TV supports screen casting.
However, what to do if your TV set does not support screen mirroring? Well, luckily there are several alternatives of how to connect phone to TV without Wi-Fi.
How To Connect Phone to TV Without Wi-Fi – Method #2
Method #2 refers to using special devices known as casting devices (some also call them dongles, though dongles technically refer to advanced adapters, which we will mention later on). These devices enable you to connect your phone to them and they do what the TVs with built-in casting features do – they protect your phone’s screen onto your TV’s screen. Pretty awesome, right?
When it comes to TV dongles, there are many popular solutions on the market. However, Google’s Chromecast remains the most sought-after choice. As such, we will focus on that device.
Chromecast is controlled via the Google Home app that needs to be installed on your smartphone.
Note: The steps below are detailed for those who do not have Wi-Fi in their homes. In case you do have Wi-Fi connectivity in your home but hot on your TV, simply skip the steps that refer to creating a hotspot (your Wi-Fi replaces the hotspot; your phone and your Chromecast will be connected to your Wi-Fi in that case).
Read More Tv Related Post
How To Watch Bravo Without Cable
How To Get Local Channels On Smart TV
Comcast Low Income Cable TV
Here are the steps on how to connect phone to TV without Wi-Fi using Chromecast:
- Connect a USB cable to your Chromecast device, and plug the other end into a power source (it doesn’t matter what generation of Chromecast you use).
- Once the device has turned on, long-press the power button till the blinking light becomes stable. This resets your device.
- Plug the other end of the device into your TV’s HDMI port. You’re done with the Chromecast part.
- Since you don’t have Wi-Fi access, you need to set it up using your phone’s hotspot (yes, you will need your phone’s mobile data). To do that you will need to use two smartphones or one smartphone and another tablet/laptop. Make sure to turn on mobile data first, then turn on hotspot on your smartphone (make sure you have enough data as you’ll be using it to stream content). Set this phone aside as it will serve as a wireless router now.
- Connect your second device (preferably a smartphone) to the hotspot on your phone. Simply turn on Wi-Fi in it and look for your phone’s name and connect using the password (if applicable).
- It is time to connect Chromecast to the hotspot. For that, you will need the Google Home app. If you haven’t done so yet, download it and install it on your phone.
- Run the app, choose your email address, choose ‘Add another home’ and give it a name. Google Home will automatically start searching for nearby devices and will also ask you to connect to your specific Chromecast device. Simply click yes to connect.
- As you try to connect, the app will generate a code that will be visible on your phone’s screen and the tv screen. You need to verify that.
- It’s now time to choose a network for your Chromecast. For that purpose smartphone’s hotspot as a wireless connection.
- That is it. You may now enjoy casting your content.
Aside from the method above, you may use the Ethernet adapter to connect the Chromecast to the internet via cable. Moreover, the latest firmware of Chromecast offers a special ‘Guest Mode’ that enables users to connect to the Chromecast directly and requires no WiFi. However, in order to turn that option on, you will need to connect to the Chromecast using the above method or the one using Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable.
How To Connect Phone to TV Without Wi-Fi – Method #3
Method #3 refers to the use of a USB port and it is an entirely Wi-Fi-proof way to mirror your phone’s content to your Smart TV without Wi-Fi. It also works for a regular TV.
For this method to work, you will need an HDMI/MHL cable for the TV and an HDMI/MHL adapter for your smartphone.
Note: You must keep in mind that not all phones support HDMI. For instance, if we look at the Samsung devices, only Samsung Galaxy S8 and above support this. The same applies to MHL.
As such, make sure to check if your smartphone supports HDMI or MHL.
Once you know your device supports this option, it is not difficult to learn how to connect phone to TV without Wi-Fi.
Here are the steps:
- In case your phone supports a USB type C port (most of the latest models do), then simply plug in one end of the HDMI/MHL adapter to this port. Keep in mind that you will not be able to charge your phone meanwhile unless you use special types of adapter (dongles) that offer multiple connections and connect to a power source via USB.
- All that is left to do now is to connect one end of the HDMI/MHL cable to the adapter and the other end into one of the HDMI ports on the TV.
- Make sure to switch your TV to the correct input. If all was done properly and if the adapters are compatible with your phone, you may now start mirroring your content.
Aside from HDMI/MHL adapter, you may also use a USB to VGA adapter or even a phone to SCART or a phone to RCA AV to get the picture and audio across.
How To Connect Phone to TV Without Wi-Fi – Method #4
If you do not have a dongle or HDMI/MHL adapter, you can work around this method as well. A trick that method #4 refers to uses a laptop or PC as some sort of bridge. You still need your phone’s USB cable and an HDMI cable for this method.
Note: With this option, we are not really mirroring the screen of our phone, however, it gets the job done.
By using a USB cable you connect your phone to your laptop, and by using an HDMI cable, you connect your laptop to your TV set. How you can play any content from your phone and view it on your TV screen.
How To Connect Phone to TV Without Wi-Fi – Method #5
This method does not refer to mirroring your phone’s screen, however, it does enable you to play the content that is stored on your mobile phone on your TV set.
Note: Keep in mind that not all smartphones nor all TV sets will support this option. However, since it is very simple and easy, it is worth considering and try.
Since most regular TV sets and all Smart TVs come with USB ports, you can use your phone’s USB cable and connect it to your TV’s USB port. Once connected, your phone will ask you how you want to use the connection. Make sure to go with the ‘USB only’ or similar.
If compatible, your TV will register your phone as an external USB device (as a memory stick or external drive) and you will be able to navigate to the content (videos and photos) stored on your phone and display them on your TV screen. Yes, it is that simple.
Read More Tv Related Post
Best IPTV Service for Firestick
How To Install Spectrum App on Smart TV?
How To Add Apps To Vizio Smart TV
How to Watch The Weather Channel on Directv
Is it possible to connect phone to TV without WiFi?
Yes, it is (the title ‘How to connect phone to TV without Wi-Fi’ implies that possibility). There are quite many options (see the most popular solutions presented above). Keep in mind that the methods available to you depend on the type of your phone and TV.
Can I screen mirror without WiFi?
Yes, the screen mirroring feature can be used without Wi-Fi, but it is important that your smart TV is supporting this particular option. If the smart TV doesn’t support this feature then you need to explore other methods mentioned above.
How do I connect my phone to my smart TV wirelessly?
If you have a Wi-Fi access and a Smart TV that has the option to connect to the wireless network and a mirror casting capability, you will do so easily. Alternatively, you can use a dongle device (such as Chromecast). For detailed steps, see the applicable methods above.
How can I mirror my iPhone to my TV without Wi-Fi?
To mirror without the WI-Fi, you can use Chromecast’s ‘Guest Mode’ or other methods that use some sort of cable connections. For instance, using an HDMI cable for screen mirroring is a popular option. Also, keep in mind that some TV’s have a built-in casting that has their own Wi-Fi beacon to connect. Since that is the best option, make sure to check that first.
What is the best way to watch movies from phone to TV?
The easiest and cleanest way would be to use your Smart TV’s built-in casting feature. That way no additional cable connections or additional devices are required. The second best option would be to use casting devices, such as Chromecast. The third best would be various cable connection options, but keep in mind that those may create some cable clustering.
What are alternative casting devices to Chromecast?
Aside from Chromecast, you may use Android Box, Fire TV, Firestick, Miracast, Nvidia Shield, Roku, and many others.
Does screen mirroring work without Wi-Fi?
It depends on the type of TV or casting device. Many smart TVs with built-in mirroring features enable this function without Wi-Fi.
How to mirror an Android device to a TV without Chromecast?
Chromecast may be the most popular way to mirror your Android device’s screen to TV (if your TV doesn’t have that feature built-in), however, there are other devices or methods that enable you the same. If you have a Wi-Fi capable TV and available Wi-Fi networks, the thing couldn’t be simpler, but there are ways to cast content even without the Wi-Fi connection. See the article above for details.
What are the most popular apps for casting phone content to TV?
If you are using Chromecast, that would be Google Home, otherwise, LetsView and ApowerMirror would do the trick for Android-powered phones and TVs.
If your Smart TV has a built-in casting feature, you most likely won’t need any apps to connect.
Does smart TV need Wi-Fi?
No. Actually, there are many older versions of Smart TVs that do not have Wi-Fi built-in, instead, they are connected to the internet using an Ethernet cable.
Can I cast my phone to a non-smart TV?
Yes. Most of the methods presented above will also enable you to view content from your phone on your TV screen.
We have covered a lot, right? If you read the majority of the content above, you know surely know how to connect phone to TV without Wi-Fi.
You also know that the range of options available to you depend on the phone and TV that you are trying to connect. Usually, the older the devices, the trickier the connection. With the latest device wireless connection may be established even without Wi-Fi, while with an older device, some sort of cables and adapters will need to be used to achieve similar results.
Use the instructions in this article to connect your phone to TV without Wi-Fi and enjoy your favorite show or movie.
Read More phone and Wi-Fi Related Post
Family Dollar Cell Phones And Prices
Best Way to Get Free Wi-Fi at Home